Understanding Criteria for LASIK CandidatesIf you have been relying on glasses or contacts to see clearly, imagine seeing crisply without corrective eyewear. Blade-less iLASIK at Maple Eye and Laser Center can provide you with crystal clear vision that improves your quality of life – all in a procedure that is incredibly quick and convenient. By reshaping your cornea with precise lasers, you can enjoy enhanced eyesight and minimal post-operative down time. To find out if you qualify as one of our LASIK candidates, contact ourWhite Plains office today and schedule your consultation.
What Can LASIK Treat?
LASIK surgery corrects refractive errors, allowing light to pass through the eye and precisely focus on the retina. In general, there are four types of conditions that can be corrected or improved using LASIK:
- Myopia: Also known as nearsightedness, this condition causes objects at a distance to appear blurred. It is treatable using LASIK surgery by lessening the curve of the cornea.
- Hyperopia: Better known as farsightedness, this condition results in difficulty clearly seeing objects up close. LASIK can correct hyperopia by making the curve of the cornea steeper.
- Astigmatism: This condition exacerbates the blurriness of images at different points in your field of vision, depending on the cornea’s irregularity. Astigmatism can be addressed during surgery by creating a more even corneal surface.
- Presbyopia: Like farsightedness, this condition affects the ability to see very close objects. Presbyopia is caused by a problem within the lens of the eye, and therefore cannot be treated directly using refractive surgery. To compensate for this age-related problem, some patients opt to have each eye corrected for a different field of vision: one eye will be altered to see close up, and the other eye will be corrected for distance.
Determining Your Candidacy for iLASIK
Thanks to modern advancements in laser vision correction technology, more people than ever can qualify for LASIK. You may be a great candidate for iLASIK if you:
- Do not suffer from cataracts, glaucoma, or other eye diseases
- Do not suffer from dry eyes
- Are at least 18 years old
- Have had a stable vision prescription for at least a year
- Are not currently pregnant or breastfeeding
- Enjoy good overall and ocular health
The success of LASIK may be affected by some conditions, such as keratoconus (deterioration of the cornea), diabetes, or diseases that compromise the immune system. Although many people are eager to enjoy the benefits of clear vision as quickly as possible, women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should wait until they have given birth and are no longer nursing. Fluctuating hormone levels can affect eyesight, and your vision should be stable in the months leading up to your surgery for the best, long-lasting results.
Contact Us Today to Learn More
You may have assumed that having naturally clear vision was out of reach after years of wearing eyeglasses and contact lenses, but LASIK surgery can be a life-changing experience for patients, improving their confidence and lifestyle. If you are interested in finding out whether you are a candidate for LASIK, please contact us to schedule your consultation today.
GET IN TOUCH WITH US
|Monday||8:00am - 5:00pm|
|Tuesday||11:00am - 7:00pm|
|Wednesday||8:00am - 5:00pm|
|Thursday||8:00am - 5:00pm|
|Friday||8:00am - 5:00pm|
|Saturday||By Appointment Only|
Please contact us if you have a question, or would like to schedule an appointment. We look forward to hearing from you soon.